Sunday 14 May 2017

The Beast, Lawrence and LB ....


A new family has taken roots in Pleasantville ~ “The Husqvarna’s” ~ individually known as The Beast, Lawrence and LB.




The Beast the Snow Blower
A Husqvarna ST227P, Two Stage Snow Blower with a 254cc engine. The Beast has featured in a couple of previous blogs, “Let it snow let it” and “The first nor'easter”.
With a couple of significant snowfalls during the past winter, the machine has already certainly already paid for itself. I had never used a Snow Blower before and basically had to learn on the job. It takes practise and much care to use, a few times both myself and The Beast almost landed in the front ditch, this after narrowly missing a couple of Honda Civics’.
With winter now behind us, The Beast is in summer storage after having a thorough wash, polish, lubrication and all moving parts greased.
 
Lawrence the Lawn Mower
Lawrence the Lawn Mower purchased this past weekend at Cross Small Engine Repair during their annual tax free social event which included hot dogs, Tim bits and other goodies.
With enormous sadness, after 28 years of loyal and extremely reliable service I decided to retire my 3.5HP Tecumseh engine Crappy Tire Lawn Mower. With the lot size we have, I learned very quickly last year that come springtime, I would require some power assistance to the wheels.
If it were not for that reason, the Crappy Tire Lawn Mower would have kept going. In its lifetime I reckon it has been used on just over 900 separate occasions. Religiously after each use I always hosed and washed it down. At the end of each season, it was winterised and carefully stored. The only parts replaced on it were all four wheels (I wore out the first set), the rewind starter and both cables. At the beginning of each cutting season, this Lawn Mower always started first time and it did so with its original spark plug.
I am really proud of this Lawn Mower and will certainly keep it in running order.
 
Old faithful, 28 years and still starts first time

 

The replacement, a Husqvarna LC221RH, is a Rear Wheel Drive (RWD) with a 160cc Honda engine.


 
I used it yesterday for the first time and can report it is fantastic. The Honda engine runs perfectly smooth, the RWD is such a great aid that I required none of my normal breaks.
After the first cut, Lawrence was given a thorough hose down and wash something that will happen (religiously) after each use. To help with the washing process, today I made a little washing area for Lawrence, which is only a hop and a skip with his garage door.
So, will Lawrence achieve over 900 grass cuts …? I am positive with my usual care, attention and maintenance it certainly should do.

Washing Pad for Lawrence
 
LB the Leaf Blower
I never thought a Leaf Blower would feature in my life, but after last fall I decided it’s a must.
Purchased this past weekend at the same tax free event, LB completes the array of domestic Husqvarna’s. With its 28cc 2-stroke engine, it is remarkably quiet while pushing out 425 cubic feet per minute at 170mph.
This fall will certainly be much easier …. Perhaps time to retire the Crappy Tire Rakes …?
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. My Friend
    I think you need some serious help lol... Lmbo!!! Do you have a name for all your babies?? Just curious. FYI mama told me about your obsession on keeping your lawn mower all neat and tidy:):):) ps couldn't resist a smarty pants comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Friend
    I think you need some serious help lol... Lmbo!!! Do you have a name for all your babies?? Just curious. FYI mama told me about your obsession on keeping your lawn mower all neat and tidy:):):) ps couldn't resist a smarty pants comment.

    ReplyDelete